Waakye – a delicious dish from Ghana
Waakye or Wache is one of the most famous dishes in the West African country of Ghana. it’s a platter served anytime of the day and is available in most Ghanaian restaurants throughout the world. Of course the best way to taste this famous african rice and beans dish is making it yourself. The dish is know as either Waakye or Wache in some parts of Ghana and comes in many different varieties, but the main ingredients are always rice and beans. The type of beans depend on the cook, but in this recipe we haven chosen to use kidney beans since these are the most common. The rice and beans can be served with either meat or fish and vegetables like fried plantain. The following recipe is waakye with beef and plantain.
Ingredients for Ghanaian Wache – 4 persons
- 400 gr rice
- 400 gr canned kidney beans
- 150 gr brokken Spaghetti or any other pasta (Macaroni etc)
- 2 tomatoes
- hot black peper sauce / chili sauce
- magi cube
- 200 gr beef
- 2 plantains
- cooking oil (peanut or palm oil)
How to make Waakye with beef and plantain?
- step 1) cut the beef and tomatoes in very small cubes and fry it shortly in a cooking pan with some peanut oil add some salt, peper sauce and magi cube after beef and tomatoes have simmered for a bit.
- step 2) add the rice and mix it in well before adding water until rice is fully covered and bring to boil while sturing the pot once every while, add water when necessary. you can also add the pasta now (depending on difference in cooking time of rice and pasta)
- step 3) cut the plantain in thin slices and fry in a frying pan using peanut oil.
- step 4) after 10 minutes you add the canned beans with their fluit to the rice and warm it up again while mixing it in. taste and at more spice to taste.
- step 5) serve the waakye on a plate with the fried plantain on top of it. enjoy 😛