Recipe for Moroccan stuffed chicken with raisins and almonds
Morocco is known for it’s special North African flavours which are mix of both very sweet and spicy. This typical moroccan recipe for sweet almond and raisins stuffed chicken is in that sense the best of Moroccan cuisine. The recipe here under is meant for 3-6 people and brings out the delicious mix of sweet and spicy and is one of the country’s favourite dishes. The stuffing of the chicken consists predominantly out of raisins, almonds and couscous, but the ginger and safraan also bring an oriental kick to the dish.
Ingredients for stuffed Moroccan Chicken:
- 3 small chickens (each around 600gr)
- 120 gr almonds
- 120 gr raisins
- 400 gr instant couscous
- 1 onion
- 2 toes of garlic
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp safran powder
- 2 tbs of honey
- 1 ½ tbs of powdered sugar
- 750 ml water
how to make Moroccan chicken stuffed with Couscous, Raisins and Almonds?
- Step 1) fry the almonds in butter until golden brown
- step 2) clean the chickens inside and outside
- step 3) make the instant couscous following the instructions
- step 4) mix the couscous with the raisins, almonds, 1 ½ tablespoon powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder.
- Step 5) fill up the 3 chickens with the mixed couscous. Close the chicken with toothpicks and rub the chicken with butter. The rest of the stuffing you will use later to serve it with.
- Step 6) grate the onion in a frying pan with butter and add 2 finely cut garlic toes, 2 cinnamon sticks, ¼ teaspoon of ginger powder, ¼ teaspoon of safran powder and finally 750ml water. cook it for a few minutes.
- Step 7) transfuse the sauce into a deep oven dish and put the stuffed chickens on top. Cover the oven dish with tinfoil and cook it in a preheated oven at 180c (360 fahrenheit) for 50 minutes while basting the chickens once in awhile.
- step 8) take out the chicken and put it on a heated plate. Transfuse the sauce into a small frying pan and cook it on high fire to make it thicker while adding 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Step 9) heat the leftover stuffing and serve it on the plate next to the chicken and pour the thickened sauce over stuffing and chicken.
- Step 10) enjoy 🙂