Moroccan Vegetarian Chickpea Tagine
Moroccan dishes do not need necessarily need any meat to be delicious. Many typical Moroccan recipes can be completely vegetarian. One of the favorite Moroccan vegetarian dishes is a tajine with as a main ingredient chickpeas. This Moroccan chickpeas recipe is one of the easiest to make and has a delicious authentic Moroccan taste.
Ingredients for vegetarian Tajine with Chickpeas
- 400 gram canned Chickpeas
- 1 toe of garlic
- 1 large onion
- 3 large tomatoes
- 3 tbs. Olive Oil
- parsley leaves
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne powder
- ¼ tsp. paprika powder
- ¼ tsp. Cumin
- salt and pepper
How to prepare Moroccan Chickpeas Tagine
- step 1) soak the chickpeas in hot water and remove the skin
- step 2) grate the onion and fry it slightly (1-2 minutes) in a deep pan (or tajine) using 2 tablespoon olive oil before mixing it with 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder, ¼ teaspoon paprika powder and ¼ teaspoon cumin.
- Step 3) add the 3 tomatoes cut in small cubes, a sniff of salt and pepper, a couple of cut parsley leaves and eventually also the skinned chickpeas.
- Step 4) let it is simmer for 30-35 minutes on a low fire with the lid closed.
- Step 5) serve with either couscous or Turkish bread. BisaHa!
Tip: the next day leftovers will taste even better!
Moroccan Lamb Chops with Chermoula
lamb is one of the favourite ingredients in Moroccan cuisine. It’s meat is used in many different dishes from slow cooked tajines to bbq fried lambchops. This recipe is for Moroccan lambchops served with Chermoula. Chermoula is a sauce typical for north-africa and used in many different dishes from fish to beef. However this koriander based sauce also brings out the best when served with Lamb Chops and yellow rice.
Ingredients for Chermoula Lamb Chops
marinade for lamb chops:
- 1 tsp. Gingerpowder
- ½ tsp. Paprika powder
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- 1 toe of garlic
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
for the chermoula:
- 1 red onion
- 2 toes of garlic
- 1 tsp. Cuminpowder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. Pepper
- bundle of fresh koriander
- 1 tbs of lemon juice
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 1 tsp. Lemon zest (lemon-skin)
How to prepare moroccan lamb chops with chermoula and yellow rice
- step 1) Marinade the Lambchops
mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 1 teaspoon of ginger powder, ½ teaspoon of paprika powder, ½ teaspoon, 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne powder and some salt and pepper and add a crushed toe of garlic. Use this marinade to rub in the 12 lamb chops and let it marinade for at least 20 minutes.
- Step 2) make the chermoula
get a bowl and crush 2 garlic toes and grate one red onion. Cut the fresh koriander in small pieces. grate a bit of lemonskin and add all of the other ingredients (1 teaspoon of cumin powder, ¼ teaspoon of both salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and finely 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well and put aside.
- Step 3) boil yellow rice (basmati rice with some safran)
- step 4) fry or grill the marinated lamb chops for about 2 minutes on both sides.
- Step 5) you can heat up the chermoula a bit in the microwave, but not necessary.
- Step 6) serve the lambchops on the yellow rice and add some chermoula on top.
Recipe for Moroccan stuffed chicken with raisins and almonds
Morocco is known for it’s special North African flavours which are mix of both very sweet and spicy. This typical moroccan recipe for sweet almond and raisins stuffed chicken is in that sense the best of Moroccan cuisine. The recipe here under is meant for 3-6 people and brings out the delicious mix of sweet and spicy and is one of the country’s favourite dishes. The stuffing of the chicken consists predominantly out of raisins, almonds and couscous, but the ginger and safraan also bring an oriental kick to the dish.
Ingredients for stuffed Moroccan Chicken:
- 3 small chickens (each around 600gr)
- 120 gr almonds
- 120 gr raisins
- 400 gr instant couscous
- 1 onion
- 2 toes of garlic
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp safran powder
- 2 tbs of honey
- 1 ½ tbs of powdered sugar
- 750 ml water
how to make Moroccan chicken stuffed with Couscous, Raisins and Almonds?
- Step 1) fry the almonds in butter until golden brown
- step 2) clean the chickens inside and outside
- step 3) make the instant couscous following the instructions
- step 4) mix the couscous with the raisins, almonds, 1 ½ tablespoon powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder.
- Step 5) fill up the 3 chickens with the mixed couscous. Close the chicken with toothpicks and rub the chicken with butter. The rest of the stuffing you will use later to serve it with.
- Step 6) grate the onion in a frying pan with butter and add 2 finely cut garlic toes, 2 cinnamon sticks, ¼ teaspoon of ginger powder, ¼ teaspoon of safran powder and finally 750ml water. cook it for a few minutes.
- Step 7) transfuse the sauce into a deep oven dish and put the stuffed chickens on top. Cover the oven dish with tinfoil and cook it in a preheated oven at 180c (360 fahrenheit) for 50 minutes while basting the chickens once in awhile.
- step 8) take out the chicken and put it on a heated plate. Transfuse the sauce into a small frying pan and cook it on high fire to make it thicker while adding 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Step 9) heat the leftover stuffing and serve it on the plate next to the chicken and pour the thickened sauce over stuffing and chicken.
- Step 10) enjoy 🙂